Variants of this have been circulating the internet for some time.
Did Warren Buffet really make the statement attributed to him?
Could this be implemented by law or would a constitutional amendment be required?
Warren Buffet is asking everyone to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people In three days, most people in the U.S. will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around. We're ALL in this mess together ... it's up to us to fix it ... for our kids! Read and pass on to 20 of your friends...
Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling ...
"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law that says that any time there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election."
The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months and 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971 - before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc.
Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took one (1) year or less to become the law of the land all because of public pressure. Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise. In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message.
This is one idea that really should be passed around.Congressional Reform Act of 2012
- No Tenure/No Pension - A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.
- Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. - All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
- Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
- Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. - Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
- Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
- Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
- All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective on passage. - The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. Congress made all these contracts for themselves.
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. - The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
- Desirable and even feasible without constitutional amendment.
- Present and future are feasible. Past is probably not achievable without amendment.
- This should indicate supplementary plan with restrictions. The rules for 401k plans are very different from 401a/403b plans.
- Political rhetoric. For nearly 50 years congressional pay increases have been marginally lower than Social Security and CPI increases.
- Obviously desirable as well as feasible.
- What laws are congress people exempt from? Many laws are not enforced but congress people are seldom exempt.
- Not sure what this means. It should address congressional perks and congressional staff.
© Copyright 2005-2016 D E Pauley